The NOSB has posted its first STEAM Leader Challenge on “Understanding Storm Surges and Protecting Our Communities” on Scoutlier, a free online learning platform for teachers to borrow, build, and assign self-paced, interactive lessons. With a free Scoutlier account, follow this link to the challenge resources.
Included in the NOSB STEAM Leader Challenge are:
- Lesson guides for teachers on Storm Surge and Community Factors, Challenge Design and Prototype/Art Awareness, and Perfecting the Pitch
- Guides for students on What is Storm Surge, Community Preparedness, Design and Prototype/Art Awareness, and Creating the Pitch
Teachers can use the provided lesson guides to teach the topic of storm surge in the classroom and/or assign the full challenge to their students to have student or team produced products at the end of the lessons. Lastly, interested students (or teams of students) can submit their final product pitch for scoring and the opportunity to win a prize. (Please note there is a limit of five entries per classroom). Entries must be submitted by March 1, 2024 to be considered for a prize.
The top three students/teams will receive the following as recognition for their high-quality submissions:
- 1st place – $300 and an ocean science textbook
- 2nd place – $200 and an ocean science textbook
- 3rd place – $100 and an ocean science textbook
Students/teams who wish to submit their pitch for scoring must follow this link to enter.
Submission requirements include:
- Filling out the submission form, answering all the required questions
- Including a URL to the pitch video, either an unlisted video on YouTube or in a Google Folder
- Limiting pitch videos to no more than three (3) minutes in length
Questions about the challenge can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This challenge is made possible with support from the Office of Naval Research (ONR).